On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 12:49 PM Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>[..]
> >  but rather that FreeDOS (running in DOSEMU) and Linux
> > can access the same files at the same time via a shared folder.
>
> Same files, yes.
>
> Shared folder? No. Why DOSemu was valuable *to me* is that I *didn't*
> need a shared folder: everything DOS could see was Linux folders,
> including its C drive and my home directory and so on.
>
> Same _time_? Eeeeek! That sounds like a recipe for file corruption.
> No, not tried and don't want to. But surely that isn't what you meant?

Yup, that's exactly how I used FreeDOS in DOSEMU in the 1990s. I'd
start up DOSEMU running FreeDOS, then start up GNU Emacs on Linux. I'd
edit my source files in Emacs (Linux), and compile them on FreeDOS
(DOSEMU). And I didn't close Emacs when I compiled, I just saved my
files then switched windows. That way, if I had a compile-time error
(missing semicolon, undeclared variable, whatever) I switched windows
to make a quick fix in Emacs, saved, then switched back to DOSEMU
recompile on FreeDOS. Worked great! I wrote a lot of early FreeDOS
stuff that way.

[..]
> TBH I am a bit surprised at this mailing list's apparent position on DOSemu.
>
> FreeDOS is the default OS supplied with DOSemu 1 and has been for many
> many years. DOSemu 1 still works and is still included in many
> distros, e.g. openSUSE. It's gone from Ubuntu 20.04 but it was there
> in 18.04 and still works. It's easy to add.
>
> For me, it had multiple advantages that VMs don't have, so I am
> puzzled that it sounds like nobody uses it any more and everyone
> considers that it's gone away.

For me, it's just that I stopped using DOSEMU 1.x a long time ago when
no one maintained it. I found other solutions to booting FreeDOS on
Linux, and those solutions work fine for me, so I don't need to go
back to DOSEMU. DOSEMU is fine (and I hear they've done a lot of work
on DOSEMU2) but it's not what I use. These days, I use QEMU and
VirtualBox.

It's like this: I used to be a Fortran programmer doing scientific
computing as an undergraduate research intern working in a research
lab (early 1990s). After the internship, I didn't need to write
programs in Fortran anymore, so I stopped using it. I had other
programming languages (such as C) that met my programming needs, so I
wrote new programs in those languages. Fortran is fine, but it's not
what I use. Fortran has a purpose and solves a need, but those needs
are not mine.

Jim