On 9/9/22 19:55, Paul Dufresne wrote:
I am not sure... but I would guess fdimples... use the command line fdnpkg:
http://fdnpkg.sourceforge.net/
I think when launched without parameters, it give help... or then with /? ... I don't clearly remember.The file format used by packages is described at:
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Package
That's excellent, thanks for the info and the links!
I didn't know that such a program existed, let alone that I had it installed. It would be useful if there was autocompletion for the binaries/batch files in %PATH%.

I have a few questions:

I checked and FDIMPLES /h says it shares most of its code with FDNPKG but they are two separate programs. I didn't find a way to use FDIMPLES with the ibiblio repositories though. Is it possible?

With FDNPKG, the default repository is "latest", but I see that there's also "1.3" and "unstable". If I'm using FreeDOS 1.3, should I use "latest" or "1.3"? What's the difference? And what about "unstable"?

Is there a way to show the full package description? For example, if I do
fdnpkg search pgme
it only shows a truncated description.

It would be cool if there was some equivalent to "apt-cache show pgme" to show the details and full description of the package.

Also, when you're not sure what's the name of the package you want, but you have an idea, it would be useful to be able to search in the description of all the packages, something like "apt search/apt-cache search/aptitude search".

The file format used by packages is described at:
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Package
Is that up to date? it seems to be dated (e.g. FDOS instead of FREEDOS).

The packages are mostly developed at:
https://gitlab.com/FreeDOS

But when you download them as zip from Gitlab, they are not in a format described in the Package link given. That's where the perl script I am writing is supposed to help translate the zip downloaded from Gitlab to a package understood by FreeDOS.
I did not publish it yet... but expect to publish something in next 24h.

Great! that will be very useful for package maintainers, I'm sure.