In answer to tauro message on sept.12:

I will ignore part of the messages I just don't know the answer.

>With FDNPKG, the default repository is "latest", but I see that
    there's also "1.3" and "unstable".

 >If I'm using FreeDOS 1.3, should I use "latest" or "1.3"? What's the
    difference? And what about "unstable"?

It used to have only latest until 1.3.

I insisted that we should have a way to explore what was in some previous
versions when doing some debugging.

It is possible to get packages from the released files for a version.

So what as been kept is to have a repositories with updated files for a
particular if it has updates, else it is the released version:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/indexes.html

>If I'm using FreeDOS 1.3, should I use "latest" or "1.3"?

I would suggest to use latest, as there was no change in packaging format for a
very long time.

But the precarious way would be to use 1.3.

Do as you wish! ;)

>What's the
    difference?

To be frank... at this time I don't know if there is a diff between "latest"
and "1.3".

It seems that for now, latest is not latest released (1.3), but is unstable.

>And what about "unstable"?

That would be the last time that the repositories were rebuild from sources
(from unstable branches on Gitlab where development is done)

We don't publicize very much, but since august 2022, we build a test version
each month.

First was T2208 (august 2022).

Last was T2209 (septermber 2022).

And the installers files are at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/test/

These are there to help people test and report problems for what will become
next released version.