Thank you everyone for your suggestions (especially Pegasus Mail for
DOS)! I am currently experimenting a bit to get it running.

I have also got a tip (and an binary) from an former coworker of me,
FlMail by Georg Potthast. It seems fairly modern from the look of it
and supposedly also supports TLS mail. I so far am still trying to get
it to run, but as far as my former coworker told me it is as modern a
mailer as one could want to get on DOS.

So far i have not found an download link for it, if nothing surfaces i
will put it on my FTP (after i have looked into the licence).