Hi,

> browsing through the email archive of the list I could not find a
> related topic. So I try to ask here.

> My problem:

> I use a Hasu  USB converter
> https://1upkeyboards.com/shop/controllers/usb-to-usb-converter/

> to have a "Dual function": When holding the Space-Key + an alpha-numeric
> key, tghe space bar should work as a SHIFT modifier.

> This works fine on Mac, Windows, but not with  FREE-Dos on my "HP
> Netbook" small computers. It DOES work on a Lenovo desktop computer,
> where I also boot FREE DOS from an USB Stick like on the HP.

> The malfunction is, that from "time to time" (actually quite "often")
> the cursor starts to move from "alone" and wandering off creating just
> empty space, like when you would hold the spacebar down. When I hit the
> Spacebar again, the cursor stops.

> The same problem occurs when using an Ergodox keyboard where there is an
> "AUTOSHIFT" function, where you HOLD a key slightly longer then normal
> to get a "SHIFT"+character.

> Might be the BIOS differences,

this is most likely a bug in the "keyboard over USB" BIOS emulation;
there is little what you can do other then search for  a BIOS update.

> or is the keyboard controller
> automatically sending a "space" character somehow

the keyboard controller is not involved at all; the scancodes are
produced over USB

> or the FreeDos
> interprets some signal from the keyboard controller as a Key-Press????

FreeDOS interprets nothing; it simply asks the BIOS if there are
characters available. If the BIOS answeres "yes, blank pressed" it
will output a blank to the screen.

of course it could be a misbehaving keyb driver  (NOT mkeyb!) but as
you don't mention a keyboard driver I assume you don't use one.

Tom