On 11/5/2022 10:34 PM, Bryan Kilgallin wrote:
Thanks, Ralf:

I much rather think that the confusion is that (Free)DOS is not plug&play, so if you plug in the USB stick after FreeDOS is booted up, it will very likely (though depending on the BIOS of the machine) not recognize that there is a different drive. Boot up with the USB stick inserted, and it is very likely to see it just fine. That's how it works on my old Dell laptop...

I had tried that without success. But a FAT16 CompactFlash card solved my problem.

Strange to say the least. The "booting with the stick inserted" has worked for me on several different machines, as long as their BIOS would be able to detect the stick on (re)boot. I am more aware of issues with the controllers for several of those flash cards and their BIOS not playing ball in a lot of machine (chaining the BIOS to provide the proper INT13h, INT25h/26h. call seems to be a common issue, most likely in combination with some memory managers).

(PS: all my USB memory sticks are either FAT32 or exFAT (FreeDOS can't read those), haven't probably used FAT16 on a USB stick in about a decade or so... ;-) )

Ralf