Hoi Nik,

Hello, I'm new to freedos, I have installed this on a nice small laptop, a
HP 2133 with VIA C7-M processor. It works nice, but the 386 memory manager
crashes. I do not know how to solve this. Vriendelijke groet, Nik Kuster

That depends on WHICH manager in which version you use ;-)

Please be more specific about your installation. I think
it should be sufficient to load some type of HIMEM, such
as HIMEM or XMGR. There also are FDXXMS and exotic HIMEM
versions to support > 4 GB RAM with modified apps/drivers.

If you are using JEMMEX or JEMM386, you could try to use
the other if one of them crashes for you. Also make sure
to read the documentation, the EMM drivers have lots of
command line options which can help you to work around
incompatibilities with specific systems.

Actually the 386MAX driver source code (and DPMIONE DPMI
host, 386SWAT debugger and QLINK linker) has been made
open source by the author a while ago, but I do not know
whether binaries are available as well? Because you may
use 386MAX instead of JEMM386, if you like to try that:

https://github.com/sudleyplace/

One problem can be that your BIOS reports the usable memory
areas in some inconsistent way or just fails to report some
un-usable area at all. In that case, you can use config
options of the JE... drivers to force them to rely on one
interface which works, ignoring others.

Similarily, you can force them to exclude some areas, use
specific methods for A20 manipulation (that is a thing you
may also want to check if HIMEM style drivers crash).

Likewise, you could tell the driver to treat your VIA C7
as a 486DX instead of as Pentium class CPU, in case some
Pentium feature of the C7 needs to be used in a special
brand specific way which the driver does not know about?

That 9 inch ultra portable HP laptop looks cool :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_2133_Mini-Note_PC

Groetjes, Eric