On 10/23/2012 05:57 PM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
Here is a draft design document for ticket 2732.
Please comment on both the feature itself, and on how to write design
documents.
PetrĀ¹, please add how the UI should handle this.

== Ticket summary ([https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2732 #2732]) ==

Currently the only way to display a warning on client is to raise
NonFatalError. This is not particularly good, as it mutes normal command
output and only one warning can be displayed at a time.

Provide a mechanism for displaying arbitrary number of warnings and
other messages on clients along with the normal command output.

== Additional problem ==

The client validates the response it receives from the server. If it
gets any extra items, the validation fails. Relaxing our validation is
not an option. To support older clients, we need a mechanism for
backwards-incompatible extensions to the API.

== Solution ==

=== Backend ===

Introduce a "capability" mechanism for backwards-incompatible API
changes. The first capability will be "warnings": a client with this
capability can get an extra key in the response dictionary, "warnings",
which contains a list of non-fatal error messages.

Capabilities are determined by API version. The version is linear; it is
not possible for a client to support any custom subset of capabilities.

If a client does not send an API version number, we will assume this is
a testing client (such as a curl from the command line). Such a client
is assumed to have all capabilities, but it will always receive a
warning saying that forward compatibility is not guaranteed if the
version number is not sent.

Capabilities will be recorded in API.txt. When a new one is added, the
API version must be incremented.

All Commands will be updated to explicitly list 'version?' as one of
their options in API.txt (most already do, and all take it).

A missing version option will be set as part of validation/filling in
defaults, so execute() will always get it.

Helper methods will be available for checking a capability and for
adding a warning to the result:

     add_warning(version, result, _("What you're doing is a bad idea"))

will be equivalent to:

     if client_has_capability(version, 'warnings'):
         result.setdefault('warnings', []).append(_("What you're doing
is a bad idea"))

=== Frontend ===

In the CLI, warnings will be printed after the normal command
output.Example (from [https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2563 #2563])

   # ipa dnsrecord-add --ttl=555 localnet r1 --txt-rec=TEST
     Record name: r1
     Time to live: 555
     A record: 1.2.3.4
     TXT record: TEST
    Warnings:
        It's not possible to have two records with same name and
different TTL values.

The Web UI will display warnings in a modal message box.

Probably the easiest and default solution. I'm also considering something similar to 'success notification' - a message displayed in a header for a brief period. It may be better because confirming dialog is uncomfortable.

----