On 09/19/2014 05:23 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Martin Basti wrote:
Hello list,

I need to use systemd mask/unmask in ipa service.

But as Honza wrote:
"IMO masking/unmasking should be part of disabling/enabling a service in
systemd. AFAIK in most other init systems when you disable a service, it
has the same effect as masking the service in systemd - it will never be
started until it is enabled/unmasked again. "

So my questions is, should be masking part of disabling service in
systemd, to be platform independent?
Or should we add mask/unmask methods to
ipaplatform.base.services.PlatformService where mask is alias for disable?

Martin^2

After reading http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/three-levels-of-off I
disagree that disabling in SysV is the same as masking in systemd,
though I guess it depends on the meaning of disable. According to that
page chkconfig off <service> is equivalent to systemctl disable
<service>.service, which is what we do now AFAIR.

Why do you need to mask a service, e.g. render it completely unstartable?

rob

I do not have full context, but looks like a good question. We only enable ipa "service" and starts via ipactl all other services. So we can disable/enable/mask services on the LDAP level, not on systemd level.