On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:55:52 +0100
thierry bordaz <tbor...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/15/2014 11:01 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > Hello fellow developers, I added this new design:
> > http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Domain_Levels
> >
> > It is a prerequisite for both the Replica Promotion design:
> > http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Replica_Promotion
> > and the Topology plugins design:
> > http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Manage_replication_topology
> > (Ludwig will change this to include the changes we have discussed
> > in a previous phone call, and which involve mostly Domain
> > Level/Domain Upgrades/migrations issues)
> >
> > As usual feel free to add as needed or comments and ask questions.
> >
> > Simo.
> >
> Hello,
>
>     A new/old replica can join a topology with a given Domain level.
>     This replica may miss the requirements to be running at the
> current Domain level.

A replica that lacks the requirements will not be able to join.

>     Does the new comer replica need to follow a procedure before
> joining ?

Newer replicas will use the new installation method, one of the things
that will be checked is if the Domain Level is supported by the
replica. If the Domain Level is higher than what is supported then
joining the replica will fail.

> Is there a 'gate keeper' replica that would grant the
>     authorization to join ?

Not necessary.

Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York