On 25.8.2015 15:37, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Tue, 2015-08-25 at 11:34 +0200, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 25.8.2015 11:25, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 24.8.2015 19:51, Simo Sorce wrote:
Why do we have cainstance.py and ca.py and krainstance.py and kra.py in
ipaserver/install when you always need both files to do anything around
installation of the ca ?

Is there a motivation ?
Or can I simply provide a patch to remove the ca.py and kra.py files an
unify all code in the proper *instance.py file ?

ca.py and kra.py are the proper files ready to be migrated to the new
install framework, cainstance.py and krainstance.py will be removed.

... once the migration is done. (Hit send button too fast.)

The motivation is that *instance.py do not provide a uniform interface,
have a lot of redundant and duplicate stuff and are generally unfit for
any further extension.

I have been changing only the instance files, so we are going in
different directions.

I don't see how, {ca,kra}instance.py code is called from {ca,kra}.py. {ca,kra}.py contains all the code that is actually needed to install CA/KRA that is not in {ca,kra}instance.py and was previously scattered around ipa-{server,replica,ca,kra}-install.

I do not really care what file we are going into, but there is a lot of
code in the installer now that does not tell the user a step is being
done, while instances do that through the step interface.

This code was always there, we only moved it to a single location. See git history.

The step interface is also a very good way to let someone that read the
code see what is going on and follow each step.

Are you proposing to stop going through the instances steps ? I found
the current way kra and ca installation is setup basically a regression,
it took me a *lot* longer that it should be needed to follow through all
the steps that are really taken.

Again, we only moved the code around, and I don't think we created any regressions.