On 12/16/2015 10:02 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
> On 16.12.2015 09:53, Jan Cholasta wrote:

>>> For me the obvious benefit is:
>>> git clone
>>> git am
>>> make review
>>>
>>> Done.
>>>
>>> No need to find & learn other tool, no risk of using wrong version of the
>>> tool
>>> to wrong version of source tree etc.
>>
>> AFAIK all IPA developers are supposed to use ipatool, and it already has a
>
> Good to know. How does a newcomer learn about it? Honestly I never used
> ipatool (or not even cloned it).

ipatool targets rather upstream members with write access, so they are hardly
newcomers.

But still, here you go:
https://www.freeipa.org/page/Contribute/Repository#Process_tools

>> start-review command, so it would better fit in there. Or we could merge
>> freeipa-tools into freeipa. My point is that I don't think having half of the
>> stuff in ipatool and the other half in IPA itself is a good thing to do.
>
> I agree with this in general.
>
> Would it make sense to at least have review target for make which executes
> ipa-tool and if it is not installed it tells you where to grab it?
>
> Or possibly make ipatool submodule of ipa git tree, so there is no risk of
> using wrong review tool for particular checkout?

Please do not overcomplicate it :-) ipatool works nicely at the moment, it is
in a separate repo with other tools where every core developer can contribute
and is easy to be update.