On 22.11.2016 18:10, Petr Vobornik wrote:
On 11/22/2016 05:25 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Lukas Slebodnik wrote:
On (22/11/16 16:29), Petr Spacek wrote:
On 22.11.2016 16:27, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Hi,

On 22.11.2016 16:04, Petr Spacek wrote:
Hello,

the recent changes with regard to
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Integration_Improvements
beg a question whether we should invest into supporting client-only builds in
FreeIPA build system.

Note that the Integration efforts don't really apply. The client-only
install is for doing client enrollment and integration can mean lots of
things.

Right now, FreeIPA can be built on all architectures we care about so there is
no incentive to invest into client-only build - this applies to binary/RPM
builds.

Client-only build lowers the barrier for porting IPA to new platforms (porting
only client code is *much* easier than porting the whole thing), so I would
very much prefer if we kept it.

Understood.

Agree about portability

But upstream spec file needn't have such relicts.
The upstream spec file is pure fedora specific.

The upstream spec is what is used to document and verify that the
client-only build actually works.

I also think it is a worthy goal to maintain.

Wondering out loud: What prevents the "porter" from doing full build and then
packaging only client bits? Yes, he has to install come of the dependencies
for the build to pass but still, it is way easier than actually making server
fully functional.

It is not an insignificant amount of dependencies to build all of IPA.

Petr, are you going to allocate time for this soonish or should I open a
ticket and forget about it for now?

IMHO this should be covered under the build refactoring to avoid
regressions.

+1

rob

I think we should not implement it. I see no need. Fedora, Debian, RHEL
all work with server build. Difference between arches is not issue as well.

This assumes that these are the only ports out there, which I know for fact they are not [1].

If somebody would want it for porting IPA on other distro then fine. But
at that stage there will be more stuff to figure out so writing the
patch can wait for that eventuality.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freeipa-client/

--
Jan Cholasta