On ti, 13 kesä 2017, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Alexander Bokovoy via FreeIPA-users wrote:
On ti, 13 kesä 2017, Chris Dagdigian via FreeIPA-users wrote:
Hi folks,

Fixing a topology and replication issue caused my IDM infrastructure
to forget about roughly 30 enrolled client hosts.

Though this would be trivial to fix via an ansible playbook that runs
the IPA client install command again with the "--force-join" argument.
Force join is for the case when you want ipa-join utility to repeat join
process on the server side. This just ignores the fact that host object
does exist in LDAP and allows to continue to regenerate a keytab.

It does not mean ipa-client-install would reconfigure the client side.

If you want really to re-do install, run 'ipa-client-install --uninstall
--force' and then 'ipa-client-install --force-join'.

The check for already installed client cannot be overridden right now.

Right but this is exactly the opposite of what the man page and the v3
design document states [1], hence the need for a bug.
The change I pointed to (ad717bff3c8c176f2c3c983d1a743eac00af426e) is
part of FreeIPA 3.0.0, so the behavior did not change since that time.

[1] http://www.freeipa.org/page/V3/Forced_client_re-enrollment
This design document does not talk about existing client-side
configuration. The check for already configured client is independent of
the --force-join logic described in the document above.

Should we decide to cease to enforce "client is already configured" part
is a different question but the behavior there is consistent at least
since 3.0.0.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy