On 2017-09-19 11:24, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
On ti, 19 syys 2017, Ronald Wimmer wrote:
Why does fetching a keytab influence its version number?

If i have three servers in a load balancer service compound and do a

ipa-getkeytab -k /etc/httpd.keytab -p HTTP/compoundservice.linux.mydomain...@linux.mydomain.at

on each of the servers the kvno will be increased with every fetch command leading to invalidating the keytab on the first two servers if I issue the command on the third?

I would really appreciate some clarification here.
ipa-getkeytab by design resets the key. It is documented elsewhere, in
the man page for ipa-getkeytab and also in IPA documentation.

If you are on newer IPA version (4.1 or later), its ipa-getkeytab has
option '-r' that allows to retrieve existing key if you have enough
privileges for that.
https://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Keytab_Retrieval_Management describes
this feature.
Thanks a lot for this vital information!

Regards,
Ronald