> On 11 Mar 2020, at 14:29, Rob Crittenden via FreeIPA-users
> <freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org
> <mailto:freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org>> wrote:
>
> Alexander Bokovoy via FreeIPA-users wrote:

>>> IMHO it should be the default for certstore.get_ca_certs(). I opened
>>> https://pagure.io/freeipa/issue/8223 <https://pagure.io/freeipa/issue/8223>
>>>
>>> I don't know of a case where we would want to fetch non-valid CA
>>> certificates, please update the ticket if you know of any.
>>
>> Valid from which point of view? A system we run on? E.g. based on the
>> local time setup?
>>

> Correct, local time.
>
> Francois updated the issue to indicate that the expired CA first causes
> issues. I wonder if we should test sorting by expiration date instead.
>
> rob

Hi,

A quick update on this issue. The CA cert I mentioned initially has now expired.

The first thing that stopped working was Satellite, which could no longer
connect to IPA.

Using “openssl s_client” to connect to the LDAP server in IPA also returned
"verify error:num=10:certificate has expired”.

Both the old and the new certificate was present in /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem
(symlinked to /etc/pki/ca-trust/extracted/pem/tls-ca-bundle.pem) on the
Satellite server.

Removing the expired certificate and restarting the httpd and foreman-proxy
services allowed Satellite to resume operations. And “openssl s_client” started
returning "verify return:1”.

Further running ipa-certupdate on any client removed the expired cert from
/etc/pki/ca-trust/extracted/pem/tls-ca-bundle.pem, however SSSD stopped
working. When I ran ipa-certupdate shortly after the CA cert was renewed in
February, both the new and the old certificate was kept.

When users logged in the following was logged in /var/log/secure:
pam_sss(sshd:account): Access denied for user username: 6 (Permission denied)

Running "sssctl user-checks username” on the server returned "pam_acct_mgmt:
Permission denied”.

The "sss_cache -E” command was not sufficient to fix the issue.The SSSD service
and had to be stopped, then manually flush the cache (rm -f /var/lib/sss/db/*),
and then start the SSSD service again.

Now "sssctl user-checks username” returned "pam_acct_mgmt: Success”, and the
users we’re able to log on again.

As I mentioned ipa-certupdate was run in February as well, however the SSSD
issues did not occur at this time.

Regards,
Siggi