> On 3 Oct 2023, at 11:50, Alexander Bokovoy <aboko...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Аўт, 03 кас 2023, Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay via FreeIPA-users wrote:
>>

>>> On 2 Oct 2023, at 15:12, Kees Bakker via FreeIPA-users
>>> <freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org> wrote:

>>> That's a very interesting subject. Just today we started looking at the
>>> same thing.
>>> I have no idea yet how to do this, so I too would like to know if somebody
>>> has succeeded to set this up.
>>> --
>>> Kees
>>
>> Great! If it is ok with you, please keep in touch to share how/what you
>> accomplish.
>>
>> Here, I have managed to join TrueNAS to FreeIPA. TrueNAS had a problem
>> a few versions ago where the tickets wouldn’t be renewed. It is fixed
>> now. So users and groups work.
>>
>> The issue with TrueNAS, as I see it, is the idmapd configuration.
>>
>> But I think we start to be very off topic, so don’t hesitate to mail me
>> directly if you want to discuss this.
>
> I think it can be discussed here, no problem.

Thank you, I really appreciate this, since this is a thing I’ve been working on
for quite sometime, so it is really nice to have other eyes on it.

> My understanding is that TrueNAS Scale uses Debian as its base. It also
> uses Samba components for both client (users/groups identities)
> integration and server (SMB shares) integration. For SMB-related
> configuration one can have a pretty decent setup with Samba-driven
> identity management, so you can define idmap ranges, plugins, etc.
>
> For NFS case, I don't see them defining any idmapd config. If winbindd
> is in use already and those users/groups are provided through nsswitch,
> then default idmapd.conf configuration should work just fine because
> it'll do UID <-> kerberos principal name translation using nsswitch.

One of my pproblems is that I have a realm which is IPA.LOCAL. But my machines
are machine.local. I believe that in such situations I need to define the
Local-Realms attribute of the idmapd.conf, but that isn’t possible on the gui.
So what happens is that when I change that on the /etc/idmapd.conf of TrueNAS,
the permissions seem to be fine, but I still can’t access the folder. And after
a few minutes, the idmapd.conf of TrueNAS gets overwritten and my permissions
get messes up again, and then the folders are owned by nobody:nobody.

But even when the permissions are right, I still can’t access the folder. I
think it might be the ACL on TrueNAS side, but I tried with all types of ACL to
no avail.

Best,

Francis