Steven Jones wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.......

Re: your comment...However I will re-direct you to one of the core ideas I
thought was behind FreeIPA?....to make it easy for the end user to deploy and
use?

In my situation I have hundreds of users, over 2 hundred RHEL servers and probably
shortly a pile of workstations.......I have no experience/knowledge with any centralised
system, LDAP, AD etc and zero programming capability beyond  bash scripting, no money and
no time....so this is actually VERY technically challenging for me ESPECIALLY with a
management that are all Windows trained and are used to typing "dcpromo" and
job done with no cost and would happliy rip out RedHat to save money at the drop of a hat
if they could.

Redhat I assume wants to sell this into the enterprise?, in version RHEL 6.1?
this is certainly what our friendly RH architect tells us...He recommended we
try freeIPA, I will feed back to him.....

So please dont under-estimate the value of migration tools.  For you, sure, its
techinically easy, for me at the bottom of the identity management ladder, I
have a huge setup, so its close to impossible.

You dont deploy this as a one off in the real world or day to day.....?

So anyway I used the existing padl tools and oh that didnt work....easy would
have been...it worked.

Its very simple, vendors who want to sell their [alternative] product into the
market place have to supply a migration tool from the competition's product or
there wont be a deal....

Thank you for the feedback. The problem is that we have our own data requirements that /etc/passwd doesn't always satisfy. In almost all cases some sort of human intervention/data massaging will be necessary so whatever we provide will come up short.

We do offer a way to migrate users and groups out of an LDAP server, including maintaining passwords.

regards