Steven Jones wrote:
I assume with no reply, now one knows?

That's not really fair, it hasn't even been 24 hours.

My IPA servers are say  ipa1 and 2.ipa.example.com

I have existing linux servers that I would rather not change the FQDN on, say
server1.example.com Do I actually have to make the client
server1.ipa.example.com or can I leave it as is at server1.example.com? Would
that give any IPA problems? or is it just poor practice?

Yes, you should be able to enroll server1.example.com into the ipa.example.com realm. You'll need a v2.2+ client for this to work. A patch was added (contributed by a user, actually) that will add a domain mapping to krb5.conf so this should work.