On 08/16/2012 11:46 AM, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
On 08/15/2012 05:13 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
On 08/15/2012 03:58 PM, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
After a restart of the system I received the following errors:

Starting dirsrv:
     FOO-COM...[15/Aug/2012:21:48:26 +0000] startup - The default
password storage scheme SSHA could not be read or was not found in the
file /etc/dirsrv/slapd-FOO-COM/dse.ldif. It is mandatory.

     PKI-IPA...[15/Aug/2012:21:48:26 +0000] startup - The default
password storage scheme SSHA could not be read or was not found in the
file /etc/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA/dse.ldif. It is mandatory.

   *** Warning: 2 instance(s) failed to start
Failed to read data from Directory Service: Unknown error when
retrieving list of services from LDAP: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Turns out the the dse.ldif files were both empty, I copied from the
backup files, restarted, and everything worked fine. However I am
wondering how a situation like this can come about?
Me too.  Did you have a power failure?  kill -9 the directory server?

-Erinn

Hmm no, not directly at least. I suppose it is possible that init didn't
want to wait for it to shut down, and eventually killed it as  last
resort. I think that is the default behaviour of init, or well upstart I
guess. It does seem an odd way to deal with a kill though, nuke the
config file.

I did not mean to imply that it is the intentional behavior of the directory server to nuke the config file in response to a kill -9. It is most certainly not. I'm just trying to figure out what caused this so we can attempt to reproduce and fix the issue.

-Erinn