On 09/04/2013 08:53 AM, John Moyer wrote:
> That summary is correct.   The only thing I would add is that other
> applications could easily bring the IPA server to it's knees as well.

Yes this is what I meant. It is not only JIRA. Any client that creates a
lot of connections can cause problems.

> Our artifact server also did many connections per sec when used, and
> one person doing a build could bring IPA to it's knees as well.  Also,
> not only would IPA be maxed at 100%, but users would complain that
> their builds were taking longer than normal (with or without the JIRA
> sync going, however, it was obviously worse when JIRA was running).
>
> Also, my IPA server was a larger/faster server than my LDAP server.
> So my LDAP server would run circles around IPA even though it was on a
> smaller machine. LDAP would run at about 10% maybe 15% CPU when the
> JIRA sync ran.
>
> IF you need any other information let me know.

No this seems to be enough.
Thank you.

Would you be willing to test a fix if one is provided?

Thanks
Dmitri

> Thanks,
> John Moyer
> Director, IT Operations
>

> On Sep 4, 2013, at 8:32 AM, Dmitri Pal <d...@redhat.com
> <mailto:d...@redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>> On 09/04/2013 08:01 AM, John Moyer wrote:
>>> Martin,
>>>
>>> I apologize there was a large offline conversation between Rich and
>>> myself.   Rich was kind enough to help me through some of my issues.
>>>  We did a lot more tests and poking and prodding.   We discovered
>>> that IPA is not as efficient when dealing with large number of
>>> connections.  Most of my load inefficiently reconnect to IPA over
>>> and over and over and though LDAP can deal with this fairly
>>> efficiently, IPA apparently drops to it's knees.
>>>
>>> A ticket was opened to addressed this issue.
>>>
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3892
>>>

>> Thank you for reporting this ticket.
>> Martin is investigating it and trying to see what is the cause. The
>> information mentioned above is missing from the the ticket, thus the
>> question.
>>
>> So to summarize: you identified that the cause of the performance
>> issue is that JIRA makes a lot of parallel connections to LDAP server
>> and IPA is slow processing bind operations thus clients that do a lot
>> of connections can experience a low performance.
>>
>> Martin, I wonder if we can have a test that would just do a lot of binds.
>> There are a lot of plugins and one of the recent ones is the OTP one.
>> I wonder if we do too much during bind when OTP is not enabled (by
>> default).
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> _____________________________________________________
>>> John Moyer
>>> Director, IT Operations
>>> *Digital Reasoning Systems, Inc.*
>>> john.mo...@digitalreasoning.com <mailto:john.mo...@digitalreasoning.com>
>>> Office:703.678.2311
>>> Mobile:240.460.0023
>>> Fax:703.678.2312
>>> www.digitalreasoning.com <http://www.digitalreasoning.com/>

>> --
>> Thank you,
>> Dmitri Pal
>>
>> Sr. Engineering Manager for IdM portfolio
>> Red Hat Inc.

Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Red Hat Inc.