From: "Petr Spacek" <pspa...@redhat.com>
To: freeipa-users@redhat.com
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:51:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] authenticate samba 3 or 4 with freeipa

On 27.3.2014 14:36, Sandor Juhasz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what is the best practice to authenticate samba file sharing with freeipa as
> auth service.
> Either version 3 or 4 of samba is fine, as we are looking for this only for
> filesharing and not
> domain service.
> Our ipa service is hosted on CentOS 6.5.
> The samba service is preferred to be hosted on Ubuntu Precise (12.04), later
> the new LTS.
>
> Found 3 methods, but all seem to have their issues.
>

> 1. LDAP, ldapsam passdb backend. -> needs ldap schema modification to include
> fields (sambaSAMAccount, sambaGroupMapping, samabaSID) and have IPA populate
> those with dna plugin
> 2. IPA, ipasam passdb backend -> did not find a working version from
> ipasam.so for ubuntu, mostly i did not find any
The only how-to I'm aware of is:
http://techslaves.org/2011/08/24/freeipa-and-samba-3-integration/

If you insist on Ubuntu you need to get ipasam somewhere, most likely to
compile it yourself.

Let us know if you are going to compile it, we can provide you some guidance.

See the thread 'IPA - Samba / Redmine / Disable Kerberos?'.

--
Petr^2 Spacek