On 03/06/2015 11:05 AM, Matt . wrote:
OK, understood.

But when a webservice does execute a command (from scripting) to a SVR
record and the first is not reacable, would it try to do it again or
will handle DNS this in front of it ?

I do a kinit against an IPA server using a keytab after I first
checked if the user was able to auth himself using his ldap
credentials, if so, this kinit exec is fired and I do some CURL stuff
to the IPA server.

That's why I wanted a loadbalancer, the loadbalancer sees if a server
is down and doesn't even try to direct any of the commands to it...
I'm not sure if the SRV will handle this well when doing these command
from PHP for an example. Building in extra checks in front could be
done but it not ideal as a loadbalancer can handle such things much
better.

OK, this makes things much more clear. Thanks for the explanation.
Rob. What is our failover logic for API?

For CLI we use a negotiation and then we store a cookie so as long as the whole conversation goes to the same server you should be fine. I do not think you need to re-encrypt the traffic at load balancer and thus have a cert there then if you can enforce the use of the same server in this case.

The issue I anticipate is with Kerberos. I think you should not load balance the Kerberos traffic, only the API commands starting with the negotiation.

Rob does that make sense for you?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Matt