On 06/04/2015 07:34 PM, Christopher Lamb wrote:
Hi All

I can now report back success (at least on my throwaway EL7.1 test VM).

To switch an EL 7.1 + ipa-client 4.1 host from an old FreeIPA 3.3.3 KDC to
a new FreeIPA 4.1 KDC 3 steps are required:

1) ipa-client-install --uninstall

2) rm -f /var/lib/sss/db/*

3) ipa-client-install --server ldap.my.example.com --domain my.example.com
-N

Having done this, my free-ipa user successfully authenticates (e.g. ssh
remote login with free-ipa user / password

To switch EL 6.5 + ipa-client 3.3.3 hosts step 2) was not required.

Kudos and thanks go to Rob C for suggesting step 2. (Note that the
directory to be purged is /var/lib/sss/db/, not /var/lib/sssd/db/ as
suggested earlier in this thread.

Cool! Thanks for reaching back. I added this advice to the FreeIPA Troubleshooting guide too:

http://www.freeipa.org/page/Troubleshooting#Cannot_authenticate_on_client

Cheers

Chris