On 07/03/2015 02:28 PM, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 3.7.2015 14:21, thierry bordaz wrote:
On 07/03/2015 02:03 PM, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 3.7.2015 11:45, thierry bordaz wrote:
On 06/30/2015 03:54 PM, Ludwig Krispenz wrote:
Hi,

389-ds allows to configure the max size of the replication changelog either
by setting a maximum record number or a maximum age of changes.
freeIPA does not use this setting. In the context of ticket
https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5086 we are discussing to change the
default to
enable changelog trimming.

Does anyone already use changlog trimming or is there a  scenario where you
rely on all changes being available ?

Thanks for your feedback,
Ludwig

Hello,

     I think it is reasonable to set nsds5ReplicaPurgeDelay and
     nsslapd-changelogmaxage to similar value.

     When a replica (master or consumer) is down for some time and is
     restarted, both attribute express the ability to get the replica in
     sync with the rest of the topology.
     It can work (and likely will) if
     nsds5ReplicaPurgeDelay<nsslapd-changelogmaxage but there are always
     corner cases that can lead to problem (like entries that diverge).

     Currently purgedelay=7days (default) and changelogmaxage is infinite
     and changing purgedelay=infinite impacts the size of the entries.
I wonder if these values could/should be controlled by topology plugin. Does
it make sense to have different values on different replicas?

Purgedelay can be different on each replica but it makes sense that the value
is the same on all replicas. It is used to remove too old csn and so how far
in the past the replication can decide which value is more recent than an
other one. With different values of purge delay, a replica can decide to keep
one value and an other replica can decide the opposite.
Currently purgedelay is identical on all replicas (default value).
I understand that technically it is possible so the question is more like
'does it even make sense'?
no, it doesn't make sense. At least I can't imagine a scenario, where it does
Do we want to support it?
what exactly do you mean by this, you always can as a last method edit the dse.ldif, even if you can catch all online mods by a plugin like the topo plugin.
do we offer an easy way to configure and modify it, I think: no
does one loose support if changing the default, no