On 12/22/15 03:24, thierry bordaz wrote:
On 12/21/2015 05:55 PM, Daryl Fonseca-Holt wrote:
Hi all,

Environment: RHEL6 with IPA 3.0 at current RedHat level. 64-core 256-GB RAM Oracle x4470 M2.

During our migration from NIS on Solaris 140,000+ accounts will be added. After tuning per the guides dbmon.sh shows no roevicts and we get high cache hit ratios.

Per a previous discussion with the list the input is broken down into batches of less than 1,000 users and the default IPA group is changed before each batch. This helped greatly.

Adding all the users takes many hours. Initially ipa user-add takes an average 2.3 seconds per user but degrades by the time there are 140,000 users to an average 6.7 seconds per user.

In tracing it appears that a significant portion of the time ipa user-add takes is not the add itself, it is the query at the end that displays the resulting user account. Is there any legit way to prevent this query?

The length of time it takes to migrate is not a big concern. The concern is the start of the fall school term when we typically add approximately 1,300 accounts per hour during the registration period with our current system.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards, Daryl

Hi Daryl,

I can reproduce similar trend of user-add becoming slower and slower.

Now in my tests (etime=7s) the time was spent half by authentication and half by ADD and MOD (update of ipausers group). I agree there are many direct SRCH (~10) but they all seems to be rapid.

I know that the vast majority of the time is spent in DS schema-compat plugin. Disabling it, during provisioning, reduce the duration by ~3. Now I do not know if it is a valid option to disable this plugin during provisioning.

thanks
thierry
Thanks for validating my timings, it's good to know I'm not off track somewhere.

Not being sure what I will end up with if the DS schema-compat plugin is disabled I'm not sure I'll end up with what we need. We need NIS in the future and further out we will convert the clients to LDAP and possible SSSD in the case of Linux clients.

Thanks, Daryl

 Daryl Fonseca-Holt
 IST/CNS/Unix Server Team
 University of Manitoba