I’m sure it's now apparent that I'm a relative FreeIPA/sssd new comer, and tbh,
my
involvement with AD has been "enough to not hurt myself or others or
production",
samba I last played with seriously for AD related issues way back when 2.x was
around - since then it's been file sharing only.

I would like to test a few things, but I'm finding it hard to find good
examples.

 How can I test that the one way trust relationship between the FreeIPA server
   and the AD DC is still in effect? (FreeIPA trusts AD, AD does not trust
FreeIIPA).
   I presume there is an ldapsearch or sssd command that should connect
directly to
   the AD server?

Cheers
L.
This email (including any attachments or links) may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information and is
intended only to be read or used by the addressee.  If you
are not the intended addressee, any use, distribution,
disclosure or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited.
Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this email
(including any attachments) are not waived or lost by
reason of its mistaken delivery to you.
If you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify us immediately by telephone or email.  Peter
MacCallum Cancer Centre provides no guarantee that this
transmission is free of virus or that it has not been
intercepted or altered and will not be liable for any delay
in its receipt.