Bret Wortman wrote:
So for our internal yum server, I created a new key and cert request (it
had a localhost key and cert but I wanted to start clean):

    # openssl genrsa 2048 > /etc/pki/tls/private/server.key
    # openssl req -new -x509 -nodes -sha1 -days 365 -key
    /etc/pki/tls/private/server.key > /etc/pki/tls/certs/server.crt
    # ipa-getcert request -f /etc/pki/tls/certs/server.crt -k
    /etc/pki/tls/private/server.key -r

I try not to argue with success but I'd be curious what is actually going on here. You generate a CSR and call it a certificate. It is probably the case that certmonger is ignoring it altogether and generating its own CSR.

ipa-getcert list shows it approved. I set up SSL in apache to use the
above .key and .crt, but when I try to run yum against this using ssl:

    # yum search ffmpeg
    Loaded plugins: langpacks

https://yum.private.net/fedora/releases/21/Everything/x86_64/os/repodata/repomd.xml:
    [Errno 14] curl#60 - "Peer's certificate issuer has been marked as
    not trusted by the user."
    :

Is there a step I need to take on the clients so they'll accept this
cert as trusted? I thought having it be signed by the IPA CA would have
taken care of that.

    # ls -l /etc/ipa/ca.crt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2546 Apr 28  2014 /etc/ipa/ca.crt
    #

Pretty much only IPA tools know to use this file.

My knowledge is a bit stale on adding the IPA CA to the global trust but I'm pretty sure it is done automatically now and I think it was in the 4.2 timeframe. I'm assuming this is Fedora 21 so it doesn't have this code.

Look at this, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SharedSystemCertificates

The idea is to add the IPA CA to that and then all tools using SSL would "just work".

Something like:

# cp /etc/ipa/ca.crt /usr/share/pki/ca-trust-source/anchors/ipa-ca.pem
# update-ca-trust

You'd need to remember to manually undo this if you ever redo your IPA install (and get a new CA):

# rm /etc/ipa/ca.crt /usr/share/pki/ca-trust-source/anchors/ipa-ca.pem
# update-ca-trust

Like I said, I'm pretty sure this is all automatic in some more recent versions of IPA.

rob

---
Bret