j...@use.startmail.com wrote:
On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 10:50 AM, Rob Crittenden <rcrit...@redhat.com> wrote:
j...@use.startmail.com wrote:
Greetings,

About a year ago I installed my freeipa server with certificates from
startssl using command line options --dirsrv-cert-file --http-cert-file
etc.
The certificate is about to expire, what is the proper way to update it
in all places?

It depends on whether you kept the original CSR or not. If you kept the
original CSR and are just renewing the certificate(s) then when you get
the new one, use certutil to add the updated cert to the appropriate NSS
database like:

# certutil -A -n Server-Cert -d /etc/httpd/alias -t u,u,u -a -i
/path/to/new.crt

Rob,

Thank you, that worked just fine, except that I had to update an intermediate
certificate as well.

Two questions, please:

1. I noticed a strange discrepancy in behavior between  /etc/httpd/alias and
/etc/dirsrv/slapd-domain.
In both places original intermediate certificate is listed with empty ",,"
trust attributes so I initially added new intermediate certificate with empty attributes
as well.
certutils -V showed valid certificate in /etc/httpd/alias and not trusted in
/etc/dirsrv/slapd-domain so I had to modify intermediate certificate with -t
"C,,"

Hmm, not sure. Did the CA chain change in between the issuance of the two certs?

Adding a new certificate shouldn't affect the trust of any other certs so I'm not sure what happened. It could be that those subordinate CAs were loaded the first time incorrectly but weren't used so it wasn't noticed, I'm not really sure.

2. Just out of curiosity I wanted to list private keys and is prompted for a
password:
# certutil -K -d /etc/httpd/alias/
certutil: Checking token "NSS Certificate DB" in slot "NSS User Private Key and
Certificate Services"
Enter Password or Pin for "NSS Certificate DB":

Which one of the many provided by a user passwords is used by
ipa-server-install command during NSS database initialization?

In each NSS directory there is a pwdfile.txt which contains the PIN for the internal token. You can add -f /etc/httpd/alias/pwdfile.txt to your command to list the private keys.