On 14/01/2017 22:08, Fil Di Noto wrote:
Sounds more like a client problem (firewall, hosts file, network settings/routes)
Unfortunally not that I have found.

Other clients are able to resolve against the IPA server?
yes.
You are seeing the response come back on a packet capture taken from the windows server?
yes.

If yes to both of those, maybe the windows server thinks the IPA server is not who it says it is.
How does windows verifies this? Note that there is no active directory in place or domain/remote authentication from the windows point of view. Windows is using it only as an plain DNS server.

Note that there is another windows server (2008) that works fine. This one is 2008 r2 (if it matters).

Is the IPA server hostname/domain name the same as a previous windows host? If so that is probably not good.