Comments inline

On 09.03.2017 11:12, Kees Bakker wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Is there an easy way to find out what the next free IP address is when adding
> a new
> DNS A record? The web interface sorts the records alphabetically on "Record
> name",
> even in-arpa zones. For the latter it would be more convenient to sort
> numerically.
No, it depends on your system. FreeIPA is not an authoritative source of
IP addresses, this is job for DHCP server or any network management system.

I don't think that we should sort numerically as DNS names works with
bytes, so ASCII sorting is better. Nothing prevents you to use
non-numeric domain with PTR RR type.

> Anyway, what methods are there to know what IP address to use when adding a
> new
> DNS record? Did I overlook something?
Usually when you are adding a new A record, you know for which host it
belongs, so you should use the IP address of the host.

> BTW. Right now I'm dumping the JSON with
>   ipa -vv dnsrecord-find mydomain --sizelimit=99999 --all --structured  2>&1
> >/dev/null
> and a Python script to make a list sorted on ip address.

Martin