In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Nathan Miller  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>At 10:53 AM 11/14/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>Nathan Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > 1.  When received requests directly to the new freeradius machine from
>> > either UUNet or other CHAP enabled provider, freeradius is _never_ sending
>> > the CHAP-Challenge to the script nor logging it in the radius debug
>> > output.  I show this below in some debug outputs.
>>
>>   That's because it isn't receiving the CHAP-Challenge.  Look at the
>>example packet you sent.  There's no CHAP-Challenge there.
>
>I agree it's certainly not in the debug; however, I do know the provider is
>sending the CHAP-Challenge as it arrives on my other radius servers just fine.

That because the NAS is free to put the challenge in the 'auth-vector'
part of the radius packet (think of it as a header) instead of in
the CHAP-Challenge attribute. If there's no CHAP-Challenge attribute
use the auth-vector.. that's what the RFC says

However if the server proxies a packet it has to create a new
vector so it explicitly adds a CHAP-Challenge attribute to the
radius data with the old auth-vector data.

As Alan said someone would have to hack the server so that it
internally always does this instead of only when it's proxying

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.