the radiusd.conf file needs the pam entry uncommented.
you need a /etc/pam.d/radiusd file.

(I never got the pam_auth argument in the radiusd.conf file to work
correctly, I don't believe you want to use the "login" file anyway since
that checks out what tty you are using and in this case you are not using
any..)

Your 'users' file needs to include something like:
DEFAULT Auth-Type :=Pam
        pam-auth="radius",
        Fall-Through = Yes

I am not sure pam-auth= should read pam-auth="radiusd" here.

You can crank up debugging on the pam modules, I think it is the -d
pam or -debug or something similar.

Try something like this in your /etc/pam.d/radius.d file:

auth       required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_permit.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_permit.so
session    required     /lib/security/pam_permit.so

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html