On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 09:37:37AM +0800, Chan Min Wai wrote:
> Dana Hudes wrote:

> > What switch? Made by whom? What model?
> It is a 24 Port 10/100 Switch by D-link , Model DES-3326S
> It do support 802.11x in this switch.
>

> >>I hope that radius server can talk to the DHCP server and tell the DHCP
> >>server what ip address to be allocate...
> >

> > No, that's not how its done. DHCP manages its own address pools.
> > The trouble btw is that ISC dhcpd does not support the DHCP Authentication
> > protocol. There is therefore no need for it to talk to RADIUS.
> > You are apparently not understanding that freeradius is what we call
> > a AAA server: Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting .
> > That's fine but freeradius only speaks RADIUS. If you haven't a RADIUS
> > client you don't talk to it. Normally, freeradius talks to a NAS which is
> > the RADIUS client and the NAS talks to the remote user host (normally via
> > PPP). Now, freeradius is supporting wireless but you need to have it talk
> > to something which understands.
>
> I think I understand. And I wonder, what happen If I setup a ppp server
> one level higher then the switch and let this ppp server talk radius
> with the freeradius server. Will this ppp server be a bottle neck later?
> (obeviously that is OT :) )

Let me just make sure I'm clear on this idea... Your AP will give out
private IP addresses from a DHCP pool (presumably with 802.11x so you
get the good WPA-Enterprise security) and then the machine must launch
a PPP tunnel (over PPTP/L2TP I presume?) which then authenticates to
the RADIUS server (again) to get a real IP address so it can start
playing on the network?

That seems like an awful lot of effort, and an attempt to shoehorn
two solutions into one (not clearly defined) problem.

--
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, on an alternate email client.