Hi Otavio,

as Marc-Andre already said we are short on time and man power.
Since the last release a lot of new features and clients where added,
the code base and functionality is growing.

One really big and hard problem we face is the complexity of RDP. It
ain't an easy job to test all features. Think about it - we support a
couple of architectures and operating systems on the client side
(windows, linux, mac, i386, amd64) and there are a lot of different
windows version to test. To setup, prepare and keep a proper test
environment running is also a big, time consuming, task.

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 09:54:26AM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Personally I've been having a lot of issues with FreeRDP with features
> not working file (serial redirection, smart card redirection and so
> on) which worked fine in 0.9 (yes, the GPL released one) and this has
> been a blocking issue for me.
I personally haven't used 0.9 (jumped the train later on ;) so I don't
know how good things where with 0.9. Are there any specifc issues you
are refering too?

For smart card there is ongoing work:

https://github.com/akallabeth/FreeRDP.git branch smartcard_context_fix

It contains a lot of fixes and improvements (that will also go into 1.1
once merged). Serial should work - at least the tests I do work.

> What are the plans regarding 1.1? 1.2?
>
> I'd prefer a less feature-rich release but a more reliable one than
> that many non-finished "next big thing but never done" releases.
Totally agree with you, better a reliable and working release then half working
things or nothing at all. Thats why we recently created stable-1.1 it's aimed
to be the
next stable release. We are trying to keep to keep the API stable and
only merge back bug fixes and performance enhancements from master and
fix issues.

For 1.1 the plan is to get it out as soon as we can ;). We don't have
an fixed schedule - basically we will release when we've
managed to resolve all open issues assigned to 1.1 (currently 136) and
try to do betas on a regular base.

Since we haven't released for a while most distributions contain an
rather old version of FreeRDP which makes it also hard for people to
user newer versions and help us test - they would need to build it
themselves. Therefore we are currently also work nightly package builds
for the most widespread distributions. Also have a look on
https://ci.freerdp.com (if you haven't seen it already).

If someone wants to help:

* Do Test and file issues (https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/wiki/BugReporting)
* Fix issues (https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/issues)
* Help us with documentation
* Support us with test environments we can test against
* Help us to improve our tests and testing infrastructure

So a lot of good things are going on... and I'm personally not really
concerned about the future of FreeRDP - If we stay a small "army" things
take longer but will happen at some point.

Best regards,
Bernhard