From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
[mailto:freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Douglas N Greve
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:26 PM
To: Jason Tourville
Cc: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] FreeSurfer ROI masks for DTI tractograpy

I've done a little of this kind of thing, mostly tracking from thalamus
or amygdala to cortex, not starting at cortex, but the problem would be
the same. I have not had the problem that you describe, even when
starting at voxels clearly interior to thalamus (none of which is
actually labeled as white matter in the segmentation). Do you think this
would generalize to your concern?

The way that we usually do the mapping into the diffusion space is to
map the aparc+aseg.mgz rather then the surfaces themselves. This could
help or hurt the partial voluming.

doug

Jason Tourville wrote:
> Hi FreeSurfers,
> I would like to use cortical surface ROIs generated in FreeSurfer to
> perform inter-regional WM tractography using FSL's probtrackx tool. My
> understanding is that start  seeds and targest are typically defined
> by mapping the labeled gray-white surface to the DTI volume. I.e.,
> voxels that intersect the surface are given labeled with the
> appropriate ROI. Is that the case? If so, it seems like this could
> potentially result in false negatives if the alignment between the
> surface and a particular voxel is particularly troublesome. For
> instance, if an intersected voxel (call this Voxel 1) is primarily
> within the cortex, the adjacent voxel deeper within the white matter
> (Voxel 2) might have a low FA. In this case, a tract starting from
> Voxel 1 might terminate in Voxel 2 because it doesn't reach a minimum
> FA threshold. No tracts would therefore be generated from Voxel 1.
> Alternatively, tracts on their way to this ROI from other other
> regions might stop at Voxel 2 before reaching the ROI. I'm not sure
> how likely this is, particularly given typical DTI resolution. Has
> anyone else had this concern or looked into to the likelihood of it
> occurring.
>
> One solution that should be fairly easy to implement would be to label
> both the voxels that intersect the gray-white surface and their
> nearest neighbor within the white matter. Has anyone attempted this?
>
> Many thanks for any feedback you can provide.
>
> Jason
>
> --
> Jason A. Tourville, Ph.D.
> Research Assistant Professor
> Department of Cognitive and Neural Systems
> Boston University
> 677 Beacon St.
> Boston, MA 02215
> Phone: (617)353-6181
> Fax: (617)353-7755

Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
MGH-NMR Center
gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Phone Number: 617-724-2358
Fax: 617-726-7422

FileDrop: www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/facility/filedrop/index.html

e-mail
HelpLine at
http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
error
but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and
properly