I believe you are correct, that the poor card is the most likely
culprit. The Matrox G200 range are not good at anything graphically
intensive. If you have adequate permission you could try updating the
drivers. (http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/latest/)

Also, try running 'glxinfo' on your PC. If you get output that says
something along the lines of "extension GLX missing on display" than
switching to use an X server that supports glx may solve the issue. If
you get valid output (doesn't complain about "missing glx") than the
card on your cluster is the problem and Im afraid you might be stuck :(

-Zeke