Thanks for the quick response!  So if I wanted to use the Calhoun 2004
approach, I should be able to use the Steffener 2010 correction to address the
violation of the assumption that the regressors were standardized and generate
a new beta.nii.gz file where the primary beta values have been replaced with
the Calhoun 2004 measure.  Can I assume the three regressors are more or less
orthogonal?  I got non-zero numbers when I tried to test the assumption in the
Xtmp.X variable

sum(X(1:207,4).*X(1:207,5))

but not hugely non-zero so maybe just rounding errors?

On Jul 9, 2013, at 4:16 PM, Douglas N Greve <gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:

> On 07/09/2013 04:11 PM, Joseph Dien wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   I have a question about how mkcontrast-sess works.  I ran an
>> analysis using the mkanalysis-sess option spmhrf 2 so there are three
>> regressors for each predictor, the primary, the latency, and the
>> dispersion.  When specifying the contrast weights for mkcontrast-sess,
>> the documentation indicates that they are specified in terms of the
>> conditions as numbered in the paradigm file, not the individual
>> regressors.  Furthermore there only appears to be one contrast value
>> output for each contrast, not three.
>>
>> How are the three regressors being handled?  I can think of several
>> scenarios:
>>
>> 1) the contrast weights are not actually in terms of conditions (the
>> documentation is incorrect), they are actually in terms of the
>> regressors (so contrasting conditions 1 and 2 could be specified as -a
>> 1 -a 2 -a 3 -c 4 -c 5 -c 6).
>>
>> 2) the latency and dispersion regressors are being ignored (a common
>> practice).  The contrast weights should therefore be specified as -a 1
>> -c 2.
> This is what happens. If you want to use the derivatives, then you need
> to spec -setwdelay. When you run the command, it will prompt you for 3
> values to use. If you spec 1 0 0, then it will be the same as the
> default. If you want to test only the first derivative, then you would
> spec 0 1 0. Note that the 3rd regressor is the 2nd derivative wrt time,
> not the first derivative wrt the dispersion parameter. You cannot get
> the Calhoun 2004 value using a contrast (it is non-linear).
> doug
>>
>> 3) The Calhoun et al (2004) approach is being used to combine the
>> three regressors into a "derivative boost" amplitude
>> measure.  The contrast weights should therefore be specified as -a 1 -c 2.
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can give me!
>>
>> Joe

>> Joseph Dien,
>> Senior Research Scientist
>> University of Maryland
>>
>> E-mail: jdie...@mac.com <mailto:jdie...@mac.com>
>> Phone: 202-297-8117
>> http://joedien.com//

> --
> Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
> MGH-NMR Center
> gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
> Phone Number: 617-724-2358
> Fax: 617-726-7422
>
> Bugs: surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/BugReporting
> FileDrop: https://gate.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/filedrop2
> www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/facility/filedrop/index.html
> Outgoing: ftp://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/transfer/outgoing/flat/greve/

> contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine
> at
> error
> properly
> dispose of the e-mail.