I tried correlations and the 2nd derivative is definitely not orthogonal.

>> corrcoef([X(1:207,4) X(1:207,5) X(1:207,6)])

ans =

    1.0000   -0.0000   -0.5427
   -0.0000    1.0000   -0.0298
   -0.5427   -0.0298    1.0000

I looked at the regressors that SPM generates for the same data:

ans =

    1.0000    0.0436    0.1740
    0.0436    1.0000   -0.0226
    0.1740   -0.0226    1.0000

The first derivative is not as orthogonal but the second derivative was much
more orthogonal.
Does this have to do with what you noted below about how the second derivative
is being calculated?
So does this mean I should avoid the spmhrf 2 option entirely to avoid loss of
statistical power?

Thanks for the help!

Joe

Joseph Dien,