Cut-and-paste the following info into your FreeSurfer problem report:

FREESURFER_HOME: /usr/local/freesurfer

Build stamp: freesurfer-Linux-centos6_x86_64-stable-pub-v5.3.0

Debian version: jessie/sid

Kernel info: Linux 3.13.0-30-generic x86_64

Please include the following additional information in your report:

   1) subject name
   2) the entire command-line executed
   3) the error message generated
   4) optionally include the subject's /script/recon-all.log

See also: http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/BugReporting

recon-all -i dicom/9999/1.dcm -s 9999

cd 9999/mri/orig
and mri_convert -ot mgz /pat/dicom/9999/1.dcm 001.mgz with the same results

knut j