FA or fractional anisotropy explains the fraction of the diffusion that is
along the long axis of the diffusion tensor.  In so far as the diffusion
tensor is an accurate model of the underlying structural architecture,
what you say might be true (e.g. in the small number of white matter
regions with only one main fiber orientation).  Most of white matter has
multiple fiber orientations and thus the diffusion tensor is not a great
model.  In grey matter, the principle orientation of processes is radial
to the surface (e.g. radial fibers, major dendrites), but there are are
also tangential processes (e.g. Bands of Baillarger).  To get a decrease
in FA, one could do a number of things:

1) Decrease the strength of radial diffusion
2) Increase the strength of tangential diffusion
3) Decrease the strength of both radial and tangential diffusion

Are you looking for a measure that shows tissue damage?

Matt.

On 3/23/16, 7:55 PM, "Alshikho, Mohamad J."
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu on behalf of