Hi Richard,

That was really helpful. All the details were very clear and I was able to
get it up and running except for some small hiccups which I fixed with a
small hack.

The issue I faced was after following all your instructions when I cam to
the step of "make j4" it threw an error saying that it was not able to find
-lcudart. And it looked like it was looking for it in "/usr/local/cuda/lib"
when the directory itself didn't exist. I fixed this by editing another
line in the configure.in file. I changed from CUDA_LIBS="-L$CUDA_DIR/lib
$LIB_CUDA -lcudart" to CUDA_LIBS="-L$CUDA_DIR/lib64 $LIB_CUDA -lcudart".
Was this change right?

Also I noticed that the speedup wasn't extremely huge. The time for one
recon-all run went down from 7 hrs 45 mins to 5hrs 20 mins. My
understanding is that this is due to only certain modules being cuda-ised
(if there is a word like that!) like the mri_ca_register  and
the mri_em_register. Are there any other modules that
are parallelized currently other than these?

With regard to the code base I guess I'm also using the read-only git
repository of the main development trunk as per the instructions on the
freesurfer webpage.

Once again thank you very much for that detailed information.

Best,
Tyson