On 22 June 2016 at 19:32, Derek Pisner <dpis...@psychiatry.arizona.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for the very quick reply.  Good to know that someone has successfully
> compiled GPU binaries for newer CUDA versions.  I took a quick look at the
> developer's guide for building the cuda binaries from source, but it seems
> like a very involved process? Do your compiled binaries only work for CUDA
> SDK 7.5 or have you tested them with other CUDA versions?

I only have one Linux box, running CentOS 7 (which isn't officially
supported by Freesurfer - I had to tweak CFLAGS quite a bit too) with
CUDA 7.5.

I wouldn't say the process is very involved to compile from source,
but I did have to tweak things a bit. Specifically, after running
./setup_configure, I had to open up the configure script, and find the
section which looks like:
# Nvidia CUDA enabling
CUDA_DIR=""
with_cuda=""

And comment out the with_cuda="" line. Then I run configure with
--enable-fermi-gpu --with-cuda="/usr/local/cuda"
(plus some other options for my machine). Note that for me:
$ which nvcc
/usr/local/cuda-7.5/bin/nvcc

> Also, would you mind sending me an example binary (e.g. mri_ca_register_cuda)
> just so I cant test it myself and rule out whether this is just an issue with
> the way our GPU is configured? (I can't even get cudadetect to acknowledge my
> GPU as a cuda-enabled device (it just says 0 devices found), despite it
> successfully acknowledging that the GPU "exists") Please let me know and I
> cna send you a private email address.

I can do, but there's a lot of things which could go wrong.

Are you able to compile and run the sample CUDA programs which NVIDIA
supplies as part of the SDK? If you haven't tried that yet, it would
be a better place to start.

> Thanks again for your help! And hopefully this thread will help others
> interested in updating their gpu-capabilities with Freesurfer.

Indeed - one Francis Thomas @arizona.edu was asking similar questions
a few months ago.

I'm afraid I'm not doing any extra GPU porting right now - I've been
getting concerned about potential drift between the CPU and GPU
pipelines, and trying to come up with a better way around the problem.

HTH,

Richard