I have  been doing simulations similar to #1 (Eklund) using
surface-based analysis on both thickness and fMRI. I'll prepare a report
of the results, but the early indications are that the same effect is in
play, though it does not look like the effects are as bad as in Eklund.

For thickness analysis using applied smoothing of 5 or 10 mm FWHM, for a
voxel-wise threshold of .001, the false positives are appropriate (ie,
5%). For a voxel-wise threshold of .01, the false positives is only a
little off (about 7%); for a voxel-wise threshold of .05, the FPR is
about 13%. If the data are not smoothed at all, then the false positive
rates go way up. The reason appears to be the same as found in Eklund
(ie, the autocorrelation function has a heavier-than-Gaussian tail). I
did the analysis by randomly selecting 40 subjects from a homogeneous
data set of 809 subjects aged 18-25. I then made two groups of 20
subjects each and ran a two-group test, then found clusters significant
based on our Monte Carlo (Gaussian) simulations. I repeated this several
thousand times. Any significant clusters were interpreted as false
positives. These results are much better than Eklund, but Eklund was
analyzing fMRI data.

I'm still working on the fMRI data. It is much more complicated because
the results depend on the assumed stimulus schedule (eg, 10 sec blocks
vs 30 sec blocks) and whether a one-group or two-group anaysis is done;
nuisance variables also play a role. At very low cluster-forming
thresholds (ie, .05), the FPR is roughly 20-30%. At a threshold of .01,
the FPR is about 3-13%. At a threshold of .001 are about 1-6%. This is
all for an applied smoothing level of 5mm.

All of these results are preliminary, so don't take them as true and
established yet. As a reminder, you can always do a permutation test
using mri_glmfit-sim. Eklund found that permutation did pretty well in
most cases.

doug