What version of freesurfer are you using? My guess is 5.3 or earlier?

With pre v6.0 versions of freesurfer, the Talairach transform step will
fail at the mri_nu_correct.mni command on newer Linux distributions that
come with perl version 5.22 (and higher) due to an incompatibility with
the mni tools shipped with FreeSurfer and newer versions of perl. The
issue has been fixed in version 6.0.