all of our data is transformed to be 256^3 before processing unless you specify otherwise. If you want to undo it, you can use the -rl <volume name> switch in mri_convert ("reslice like"). If it is an aseg volume make sure that you specify the resample type as nearest neighbor with -rt nearest

Note also that all of our binaries can write nifti (including mri_binarize)