I think that is the issue. Freesurfer thinks there is brainstem in the
skull-stripped image. That’s why it labels whatever gray matter it sees as
brain stem.
We’ll add the brain stem to the data and run it like that.

Thanks!
Tugce

On 10/17/17, 1:28 PM, "freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu on behalf of
Douglas N Greve" <freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu on behalf of
gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:

    Copy it before you run recon-all and copy it to brainmask.mgz (not to
    auto). If there is no brainstem, then I think it will fail

    On 10/17/2017 12:55 PM, Duran, Tugce wrote:
    > Do you mean after –autorecon1 –noskullstrip done we copy T1.mgz to
brainmask.auto.mgz and a link from brainmask.auto.mgz to brainmask.mgz? Because
I also did that and saw some cerebral cortex labeled as brain stem. There is no
brain-stem in my skull-stripped data.

gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:
    >      >
    >      >      if they look ok, then I think they are ok
    >      >
    >      >
    >      >      On 10/17/2017 12:05 PM, Duran, Tugce wrote:
    >      >      > That is exaclty right! But how did freesurfer respond to
that, performing the skull stripping to skull-stripped data?
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/UserContributions/FAQ#Q.Ihavealreadyskull-strippeddata.CanIsubmitittorecon-all.3F
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > By doing so, I accidentally submitted my data both
with *recon-all
    >      >      >      > -autorecon1 -noskullstrip -s <subjid> *and *–all
*flag at the beginning.
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > Using PBS script, here is an example of this:
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > list="E001_V1 E002_V1 E003_V1 E004_V1 E005_V1
E006_V1 E008_V1 E010_V1
    >      >      >      > E011_V1 E013_V1 E014_V1 E015_V1"
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > echo $list
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > OUTDIR="/pathtodirectory/logs_KT"
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > PREFIX="recon-all"
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > for index in $list; do
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > recon-all *–autorecon1 –noskullstrip*-i
    >      >      >      > /pathtodirectory/$index/"$index".nii -subject $index
-sd
    >      >      >      > /pathtodirectory *-all *1>$OUTDIR/$PREFIX.$index.out
    >      >      >      > 2>$OUTDIR/$PREFIX.$index.err &
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > done
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > wait
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > I forgot to remove the flag –all at the end of this
command.
    >      >      >      > Therefore, freesurfer v6 processed my data all the
way till the end
    >      >      >      > and Viola it worked! And I am wondering If I could
trust this data
    >      >      >      > since it looks OKAY when I look at the segmentation,
parcellation. Can
    >      >      >      > I trust this skull-stripped processes data with
–autorecon1
    >      >      >      > –noskullstrip and –all options?
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > I hope my explanation and question makes sense.
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > Thanks,
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > Tugce Duran
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > dur...@iupui.edu
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > _______________________________________________
    >      >      >      > Freesurfer mailing list
    >      >      >      > Freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >
    >      >      >      --
    >      >      >      Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
    >      >      >      MGH-NMR Center
    >      >      >      gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
    >      >      >      Phone Number: 617-724-2358
    >      >      >      Fax: 617-726-7422
    >      >      >
    >      >      >      Bugs: surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/BugReporting
    >      >      >      FileDrop: https://gate.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/filedrop2
    >      >      >      www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/facility/filedrop/index.html
    >      >      >      Outgoing:
ftp://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/transfer/outgoing/flat/greve/
    >      >      >
    >      >      >      _______________________________________________
    >      >      >      Freesurfer mailing list
    >      >      >      Freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
    >      >      >
    >      >      >
    >      >      >
    >      >      >      The information in this e-mail is intended only for
the person to whom it is
    >      >      >      addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you
in error and the e-mail
    >      >      >      contains patient information, please contact the
Partners Compliance HelpLine at
    >      >      >      http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail
was sent to you in error
    >      >      >      but does not contain patient information, please
contact the sender and properly