Hi Niels,

The code works at .33 mm and ends up with a soft segmentation for each voxel,
i.e., each voxel has a vector of probabilities corresponding to the different
structures. So, they DO overlap. However, we don’t write those probabilities by
default. Instead, we take the most likely label at each location (the one with
the maximal probability), to create the discrete segmentation you’ve seen.
Then, I do a simple nearest neighbor resampling to 1mm space, which I admit is
a bit ugly (but fast).

My recommendation would be the following:

1. For each label of the discrete segmentation, including the background (treat
is as any other subfield):
   1a. First extract it from the segmentation, to create a binary mask (e.g.,
CA1 vs everything else).
   1b. Resample this mask to your new space with linear interpolation. This
will create a deformed mask that is not binary anymore, but will have values
between 0 and 1 (or 0 and 255, depending on how you binarize in step 1a).

2. Go over all voxels in the target space. For each voxel, look at the values
of the deformed masks. Assign the label of the mask with the highest value.

This procedure will create a smooth segmentation.

If you’re feeling really inspired, you’ve got another (prettier) option. Run
the code with WRITE_POSTERIORS (see the wiki). Then, you can do the same thing,
but skipping step 1a, and using the posteriors in step 1b directly instead.
Note that the code does not write the posterior for the background, but you can
easily calculate this as one minus the sum of all other posteriors (at each
voxel).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

/Eugenio