Dear Dr Bruce, I highly appreciate the response.
I want to smooth PET volumetric images, when I use "fslmaths", it shifts the
signal from the cortex to the underlying structures. I think (depending on
wiki) that Freesurfer handles this issue by smoothing on sphere. Which is the
recommendded stream in PETsurfer.

I am wondering if there are any commands within Freesurfer that can be used to
smooth volumtric PET images without taking the average signal of the
neighboring voxels (like in Gaussian smoothing).

Also, I have question about mri_fwhm:
what is the difference between the flags (--smooth-only; --fwhm). I am aware
that "mri_fwhm" is very well explained in FS wiki, but I was unable to exactly
understand the difference. For instance when I use the flag --smooth-only the
output image is somehow similar to the input image. Is Gaussian in this cases ~1

Thanks in advance!