You have to sample the volumetric PET data onto the surface
(mri_vol2surf) and then smooth it there (mri_surf2surf or mris_fwhm).

On 12/12/2017 11:23 AM, John Anderson wrote:
> Dear Dr Bruce, I highly appreciate the response.
> I want to smooth PET volumetric images, when I use "fslmaths", it
> shifts the signal from the cortex to the underlying structures. I
> think (depending on wiki) that Freesurfer handles this issue by
> smoothing on sphere. Which is the recommendded stream in PETsurfer.
>
> I am wondering if there are any commands within Freesurfer that can be
> used to smooth volumtric PET images without taking the average signal
> of the neighboring voxels (like in Gaussian smoothing).
>
> Also, I have question about mri_fwhm:
> what is the difference between the flags (--smooth-only; --fwhm). I am
> aware that "mri_fwhm" is very well explained in FS wiki, but I was
> unable to exactly understand the difference. For instance when I use
> the flag --smooth-only the output image is somehow similar to the
> input image. Is Gaussian in this cases ~1
mri_fwhm (and mris_fwhm) where initially developed to measure the FWHM
but I extended it to be able to apply smoothing (--fwhm) as well as
measure the smoothness. The --smooth-only says to not do the FWHM
estimate (just smooth it).

> Thanks in advance!

Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
MGH-NMR Center